Senior Economist Jobs, Latest Finance Jobs, World Bank Kenya Jobs
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges.
Poverty Global Practice
The Poverty and Equity Global Practice, part of the Equitable Growth, Finance, and Institutions vice-presidency, plays a key role in supporting the World Bank Group’s goals of ending extreme poverty and boosting shared prosperity. It generates knowledge and dialogue and supports operational solutions, focusing on poverty monitoring and statistical capacity building, markets and institutions, fiscal and social policy, and resilience to shocks and sustainability. The practice is organized into seven regionally-oriented units—EAP, ECA, LAC, MNA, SAR and two in AFR—each managed by a Practice Manager. The development and flow of global knowledge within the practice is facilitated through four cross-cutting thematic lines, each of which is led by a thematic Lead Economist. These are: data for policy analysis; markets and institutions for poverty reduction and shared prosperity; fiscal and social policy for poverty reduction and shared prosperity; and welfare implications of climate change, fragility and conflict risks. Every member of the practice is affiliated with, participates in and contributes to the work of at least one of the thematic lines. In addition, the practice takes the lead in two corporate priority areas: Data for Goals; and Systematic Country Diagnostics.
We are looking for five internationally-recruited Senior Economists to be based in the following field locations. You may indicate your countries of preference in the application form.
The Senior Economist will have three main objectives
• Lead the GP program in the country, including exploring opportunities and develop the pipeline for future engagements
• Lead the GP program in another country of the region that would be determined upon the selection of the Senior Economist
• Lead on selected analytical activities of the POV GP and the broader engagement around those activities, with a view to build a stronger evidence base for policy making.
• Conduct policy relevant analytical work on poverty and equity, where relevant in collaboration with the government with a view to: build support for the analysis, continuously disseminate findings, and raise capacity for analytical activities.
• Support the use of analytical work in policy dialogue, in particular by: leading efforts to develop and use innovative data sources and leveraging ICT; leading in-depth work on sub-national data generation and analysis, to support dialogue on improving equity of economic development and service delivery across the country.
• Contribute to operational and analytical activities of other GPs, in particular by: producing tailored analytical pieces, including for example contributing to vision pieces around inclusive growth, and the private sector’s contribution to inclusive growth and poverty reduction; being a co-TTL / team member of tasks led by other GPs, particularly through monitoring and evaluation support.
• Contribute to analytical and advisory activities in support of the broader program in the CMU, which may include supporting activities in other countries in the CMU, if required.
- We are looking for an imaginative and innovative micro-economist with a demonstrated track record of sound analytical work, excellent judgment, and experience in working closely with clients to tailor analytical and/or statistical advisory services.
- Candidates with strong client engagement skills, demonstrated effectiveness in working collaboratively with teams from multiple practices and with prior experience of successful engagement in weak capacity contexts will be given special preferences.
- Prior exposure to and experience with working on statistical agencies on the development and implementation of statistical strengthening plans will also be useful.
- Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in economics, public policy, statistics or other related field, with a strong quantitative background and at least eight (8) years of relevant professional experience.
- Program management skills and experience – someone with hands on delivery skills.
- Strong analytical skills and experience of policy influencing/engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with government clients and development partners; track record in donor management and resource development.
- Strong track record of substantially contributing to reports in fields related to poverty, inequality, labor markets, economic mobility.
- Language vary depending on assignment location.
- Desired experience includes acting as a practitioner in developing and/or transition countries, and experience with poverty, labor, and/or gender-related operational programs (including capacity building).
How to Apply
Apply for Senior Economist Job here