Some functions of Nairobi County have been handed over to the National government in a deal signed at State House in the presence of President Uhuru Kenyatta, embattled Nairobi governor, Mike Sonko, and Devolution CS, Eugene Wamalwa.
Other witnesses to the agreement include, the Speaker of the Senate, Hon. Kenneth Lusaka and the Attorney General, Paul Kihara.
Article 187 of the Constitution stipulates that a function or power of government at one level may be transferred to a government at the other level by agreement between the governments if:
- The function or power would be more effectively performed or exercised by the receiving government
- The transfer of the function or power is not prohibited by the legislation under which it is to be performed or exercised
Therefore, the National Government will take over the following functions of the Nairobi County Government
- County Health services
- County Transport services
- County Public Works, Utilities and Ancillary services
- County Government Planning and Development
The move was informed by a court ruling barring the governor from accessing his office thus jeopardizing service delivery to Nairobians.