Home ECONOMY Sonko fails to show up in Voi for assault case

Sonko fails to show up in Voi for assault case

by biasharadigest

Embattled Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko was a no show at the Voi Law Courts on Wednesday where he was expected to answer to assault charges.

Also Read: ‘Ulipona instantly?’ Kenyans respond to Mike Sonko Jamhuri day message

His team of four lawyers; Cecil Miller, Salim Mwadumbo, Jared Magolo and George Kithi told the court that the Nairobi Governor was not feeling well.

Senior Resident Magistrate Frederick Mayaka Nyakundi heard that Sonko was recuperating at home following doctors orders.

The court then ruled that Sonko be arraigned on January 21 next year.

Magistrate Nyakundi further directed that the Nairobi Governor present himself at the DCI headquarters in Voi before appearing in court.

The Governor’s lawyers said they would have their client adhere to the directives.

Sonko had been expected to face three counts including resisting police arrest and disorderly conduct.

Also Read: Abusive, unruly & violent: Sonko draws wrath of police boss

He is accused of battling police officers when he was arrested at a road block in Voi on December 6.

It is alleged that he assaulted Coast Regional Police Commander Rashid Yakub by kicking him on the thigh and insulting other officers during his dramatic arrest.

On December 7, the day Sonko was arrested, National Police Service spokesman Charles Owino accused the Governor of acts of lawlessness against police action.

“During the arrest, he became abusive, unruly and violent in an attempt to resist hence obstructing police officers from the lawful execution of their duties,” read the statement.

The office of the Inspector General of Police then said they would be preferring assault charges against Sonko.






For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel




Video Of The Day: | THE MEKATILILI LEGACY | Mekatilili Wa Menza contributed to Kenya’s independence struggle


Related Posts

Leave a Comment