The Ministry of Education says there will be no national examination from grade three pupils under the new Competency-Based Curriculum.
Education Cabinet secretary Prof. George Magoha exams will only be administered at grade six and nine and that the curriculum was progressing well.
Magoha said the government had put in place a policy on examinations for grade six and nine that are slated to be done in three years from now.
The CS at the same time denied reports that pupils in grade three will have to sit for a national exam.
Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 22163
According to the CS, a task force formed to spearhead the issue of examinations at grade six will begin its work on July 4 with the findings expected in the next one year.
Magoha on Tuesday proposed that learners not be forced to join the senior secondary schools under the new curriculum.
If implemented, the proposal would reduce the number of years it is mandatory for children to attend school to nine, from the current 12.
“There is no reason to keep learners in pathways through to Grade 12 if they don’t want to continue. At the age of 15 you should give learners a chance to choose what they really want,” Magoha said.
It would mean that learners are not compelled to continue with formal education past Grade 9 which is the equivalent of the current Form 2 under the 8-4-4 education system.
Grade 9 is the last year of junior secondary under the 2-6-6-3 system.
However, those who opt out of school will join vocational and technical institutions where they can pursue vocational skills.
“A child might not be bright in classwork but they might be good with hands-on skills. I don’t see the reason the learners should be put in class longer,” Magoha said.
The CS was addressing a workshop with members of the National Assembly Education Committee and ministry officials meant to find a road-map on the implementation of the new curriculum.
The government Prof. Magoha said was keen on the success of the new curriculum and that the ministry will be rolling out countrywide sensitization forums very soon to enlighten Kenyans.
Nominated Senator Agnes Zani praised the new system saying it would be of benefit to pupils and Kenyans at large.
Zani who is a member of the education committee said all the stakeholders were being brought on board to make sure that the curriculum works.